May

The Ins and Blow-Outs of Stretching My Ears

By

About 5 years ago I decided that I wanted to finally get my ears pierced with the intent of stretching them to a larger size.  Going into it I will openly admit that I knew nothing about the process besides: Put stuff in ear, ear gets bigger, put even bigger stuff in ear, repeat.  The only sure things in my mind were that I liked metal and I wanted it to be big!

Author's Ear With the Current Size Plug he Wears

I started off by getting my ears pierced at an 8 gauge, the largest that I was told it was safe to do. Warning; this is essentially getting stabbed through the ears and was definitely not the most comfortable process ever.  All in all it worked out well; the 5 months I was advised to not stretch or change the jewelry proved worth it in the end as far as the time and money I saved verses having to start at a 14 or 16 gauge stud.

Starting and Ending Gauge Sizes

From there I slowly began the stretching process.  If there is nothing else I can stress I’d say GO SLOWLY!  Rushing to get the next size in will only lead to longer healing times and a risk of blowout.  I found that personally waiting 2 months in between new sizes seemed like a good amount of time for my ears to heal before being able to attempt the next stretch.

This is where I stopped doing things intelligently.  When it came time to move up to 6gauge I simply wandered into a local store and looked at what 6g  jewelry I would like. This is the process I used to get down to 2 gauge before things went sour.  Up until 2, I at least started a new size with a pair of Steel CBRs (captive ball rings) which are slightly curved and smooth.  (I didn’t want to have so much metal hanging from my ear when I went to 2g so I changed things up.)

I purchased a pair of metal plugs, flared on the front and secured on the rear by an o-ring.  When I went to put this in, my ear was less than happy to stretch, straight up refusing to.  Instead of expanding and wrapping around the new piece of jewelry like before, I ended up “damaging” my ear with the sharp metal lip on the back of the Plug.

Simple as that you can blow out an ear.  Since that bad incident I have ordered sets of tapers to use first, slowly sliding them in to the correct size and letting them sit for a day before replacing them with other more permanent jewelry.  While I can’t tell you how to do it yourself, I can STRONGLY recommend you do not “dry stretch” your ears by simply putting in the next size up.  Tapers are your friends and will make your life MUCH easier.

Straight Taper Style Gauges

Since then I’ve only changed my strategy once, going from 00 to 7/16.  The jump was too much for my ears, especially with my right ear now having the scarring and damage from it’s past blow out.  In order to make the upgrade I did what is referred to, and understandably so, as “taping”.  With a layer or two of electrical or flat medical tape around the plug I was able to increase the size by ½ mm every other day for a week until I could comfortably get my new 7/16’s in.

Too Long Didn't Read Overview

Next thing you know you’ll be making your friends feel weird as you demonstrate the various items that you can now fit through your stretched lobes.

Morgan, the Author

Comments

1. Black Diamond says:

That looks really painful, how long do you use tapers if you’re going to go that route?

• Morgan says:

Honestly yes; it hurts but it’s nothing terrible. The way i express it is a kinda intense pinching pain for about five minutes, then dull like a bruise ache for about 24 hours or so. Whenever i’ve put in new tapers i put them in first thing in the morning and leave them in all day. That way they have a long time to stay and get my ear used to the new size before i switch out for a pair of flat plugs before i go to bed. Sleeping with tapers in is definitely possible but i wouldn’t recommend it by any means!

2. Nancy says:

This is a wonderful idea having people who are actually pierced or modified talk about it. I’ve learned things already. Nice job.

3. Alma says:

My ears always get really hot, and a little stinging, but it usually goes away after a while. I’m at a 4 gauge, I don’t think I will be going any bigger. Tapers definitely help.

4. Andrew Eastwood says:

I got mine pierced at a twelve and stretched them all the way up to a two before having any odor issues. I think it was because I stopped using the teflon tape. If you use the medical tape it really helps too. Now they’re almost an inch!

5. Mikey says:

At work I got my friend to poerce my ear with a small needle then I shoved an 8 through, 6 days later I didn’t have any 6 gauges so I went from 8 to 4, it hurt alot then 5 days later I went to a 2g for two days then jumped to a 0 for a week and jumped to 00, so in about three weeks I went from 8 to 00 and what hurt the worst was jumping from 8 to 4. I don’t advise doing this but when you shove tapers through take your time and you’ll be fine

6. chris says:

I got my ears done when I was 7 , then my freshman year I put a 10g in , (18g to 10), and It blew out my ear , not too bad though, it went a way after a month. I have always skipped sizes , but I do not recomend you skipping , n now I’m at 3/4 n outta high school.

7. Rachael says:

Those look awesome on you – I like that size – not too small or too big.

8. Brittany says:

i got my ears periced when i was 5 and i am 18. i was an 18 yesterday and i went to a 4(18 to 4 at once). my ears only hurt a lil bit. im a lil worried i may have blown them out cuz when i took my tapers out they bled ALOT but i still have hardly any pain i put the tapers back in and i can turn them just fine in my ear without any pain and my ears r not swollen or red i may just be over reacting can someone help me and tell me if im ok!

9. Jen says:

I’ve had my ears pierced since I was six and I am 21. I didn’t start stretching until I was probably 19. But I am at a 00 soon to be 7/16. From a 18-16-14-12-10-8-6-4-2-0-00… The bigger they got the longer I waited. I didn’t plan on going past a 4 but its kind of addicting. I recommend not skipping sizes nor going too fast, I see a few of you ^ did and It’s actually dangerous and horrible for your ears to stretch too quickly and to jump sizes; you could rip them or have a blowout and that sh*t’s nasty. I’ve always had really healthy round looking ear holes and no odor, and I believe that is because I did it correctly, and you have to keep them clean of course. But good luck to anyone stretching, just remember to be patient!

10. caitlyn says:

My ear blew out when i went from a 00 to 7/16. it was not a bad blow out. I took the gauge’s out of both ears and it has been a little over two weeks. Its healing great. I was wondering if I can still gauge my ears and will this happen again? Also they have closed up alot if I can still gauge my ears I have no idea what size to start with. Please help I love my gauges but never want a blow out again :)
    Thanks.

• Lorna says:

Your best bet is probably to go to a piercer in your area and have them take a look. They can help you figure out what size to restart at, and will be able to assess the damage and let you know how to proceed. They’re also a great resource for alternative stretching techniques, and some offer service in which they can do some of the stretching safely for you. Hope this helps!

11. bre says:

I just went from an 8 to a 6. Never skipped a size and has never hurt til now. I realize that this is the biggest jump I’ve made so far but I’m still worried because I can’t move them at all. I’ve read horror stories and seen awful pictures so now I’m concerned. I went in to a professional and I think she used lube but I’m not sure. should I be worried that I can’t push them back and forth? And I heard a noise on my left ear and when I was washing it I saw some crusty blood.

12. emilyharrie says:

It was an informative post!! I extended my ears quite savagely to just 6mm and got a victory. It’s dreadful and I would without a doubt suggest your counsel of utilizing each size accessible. Thanks for sharing..

13. Hollee says:

I’d like to point out that “Dry Stretching” and “Dead Stretching” are different. I completely agree though, dry stretching your ear sucks balls. But, dead stretching is the #1 cause of a blowout. Dry stretching is using a taper, but without using any kind of lubricant to help you out, and the stinging afterwards is a b*tch. Dead stretching is when you just shove the next size in. But, yeah, I’ve heard to use tapers up to a 2g.

14. jose says:

So i already had gauged my ears up 9/16 then took them out for maybe 6 or 5 months. They shrunk back to a 6 or 8. Did the dumb move to try and re gauge them with the same silicone gauge twice, second time tore my ears alittle. Waited about a week or so. Orderd some 2 size gauges tried them, went in fine. Silicone of course, dont like tapers. Went up to 0 the next day and tore my left ear again but right was fine. So just be patient silicone is the way to go after 00 though

15. andy says:

How long should I wait to shove a taper through after having it punched out to 8?