Jun

Nose Ring Sizing: How to Get a Perfect Fit

By

There are six basic materials that most nose rings will be made of: stainless steel, gold, sterling silver, titanium, bioplast, and acrylic.  They can also be found in platinum, glass, and carved organic material like bone, but these media are generally more expensive and harder to come by.

Nose Rings - Different Materials

After choosing a material, there are four things you’ll need to know to get the perfect nose ring.  The first is what style.  The four common nose ring styles are the nose bone, nose screw, L-shape, and the hoop.  Nose bones are a short, straight piece with a slightly larger ball-like tip that holds them in place, while nose screws are held in by the corkscrew-type curve at the end.  L-shaped nose rings are kept in place by the ninety degree angle at the base, and nose hoops are either moveable with a tiny opening that prevents them from falling out, or fitted with a small disc at one end that holds them into the nose.

Common Nose Jewelry Styles

There is also an item available on the market called a fishtail nose ring, which is meant to be taken to a piercer and shortened, shaped, and bent for a custom fit.  This type of jewelry cannot be worn as is, because it is extra long (19mm or 3/4″), and has no shaping to hold it in place.

Fishtail Nose Rings

Next you’ll need to know above the gauge size of the item.  Standard sizing for nose rings is normally a 20 gauge; this means the thickness of the portion that goes through the piercing is approximately .8 millimeters.  Nose piercings can also be done in a slightly larger 18 gauge (1 millimeter thickness), or in the case of some Indian style piercings, a very tiny 22 gauge (only about .65 millimeters thick).  Knowing the correct gauge size is incredibly important to be sure the item fits comfortably without slipping out.

Nose Ring Gauge Sizes

Once gauge has been determined, then you’ll need to know sizing for the ring itself.  The length sizing for a nose ring is the length of the portion that actually passes through your piercing, not including any part that shows or rests inside the nose, and is measured from the base of the gem or decoration, to the curve, bend, or sphere.  Average is about 6 millimeters, but for those who have slightly thinner or thicker nasal cartilage 5mm and 7mm are readily available.  Other sizes for piercings that are done in non-traditional areas of the nostril can be custom made or created from a fishtail item.

Measuring Nose Rings for Length

For nose hoops, sizing won’t be measured as length, but instead as diameter.  This is the measurement of the widest portion of the hoop from inside edge to inside edge.  The standard for sizing here is 5/16″ (8mm) or 3/8″ (10mm).

Nose Hoop Diameter Sizes

The final element to perfectly size your nose ring is the most aesthetically important: the size of the gem or decoration that will show.  There are nose rings called “micro nose rings” out there that have extremely small ornamentation (usually a gemstone), but for the most part nose rings’ decorative tips come in three basic sizes, which are 1.5 millimeter, 2 millimeter, and 2.5 millimeter.  Some non-geometric shapes may be up to around 3.5mm in one of their dimensions, but usually no larger.

Nose Ring Gem Sizes

Now you’re ready to pick out the perfect nose ring that will beautify, enhance, and comfortably fit your specific nose!

Comments

1. Ellyn Fasel says:

Thank you for the info!! I really needed this because I keep getting nose rings that don’t fit! After reading I think it’s the gauge size cause mines is really little. Thanks!

2. Elsie Silverman says:

Yes! This was super helpful. Thank you so much!

3. Becca Rowlings says:

I always have a fit problem. Thank you for this very much!!!

4. Wendy Hicks says:

I never have fit issues, but I only buy mine from BodyCandy and nowhere else and always in the same size

5. Rich says:

Same here. I wear nose hoops from body candy.com and they always fit just perfect.

6. Kat says:

This was BEYOND RIDICULOUSLY helpful!! Thank you so much for this post!

7. dtg914 says:

I am looking for a 22 guage with 1.25 flat diamond. Do you know where I can get this in NYC?

8. Barbara says:

Wow…this is so well written and explained!! GREAT JOB!!

9. Alexandra says:

hi
    i have my nose pierced with a 20 gauge and i want to try and get a 22 gauge into it, do you know how to do that ?

• Lorna says:

Hello!
      Actually, the sizing for body jewelry goes backwards, so a 22 gauge is smaller than a 20 gauge. This size is very hard to find because it’s considered a specialty size since most piercers do not perform piercings in so small a gauge, but if you’d like we can talk to our artisans and see if we can work something out. Please contact us at 1(800)694-1426. If you’re looking for a larger size item though, that would be an 18 gauge, which is readily available in almost every style here. A piercer in your local area should be able to help you get to a larger size with minimal pain and effort. :)

10. paula says:

Is it easy to bend and/or cut a surgical steel nose stud? and is it easier to do that before i put it in or not?

• Lorna says:

It’s definitely easiest to go to a piercer and have them do it for you. They have special equipment to properly measure your nose for a perfect fit and can then bend the nose ring accordingly whether you want it bent into an l-shaped nose ring or a nose screw. Bends are almost always done prior to inserting the nose jewelry.

11. Shida1ne says:

My question is how do I get a hoop no seeing that fits snugly on my nostril? I always get my body piercing jewelry from body candy.com, and have been happy with each purchase, but the hoop moseying I ordered has quite a bit of space between the hoop an my nostril, and I don’t like how it looks. I want a more snug fit. Can I get the hoop nosering I already have cut or shape smaller to make it more snug on my nostril? Or would I have to purchase a different sized ring? The one I have is 5/8. Thanks in advance for your reply!

• Lorna says:

Hello! It sounds as though you may have been using standardized circular jewelry, rather than an item specifically designed for the nose. Whatever the case, trying a couple of smaller sizes is the first thing we’d always suggest. 5/8 is about sixteen millimeters, so trying a 3/8 (10mm) or even a 5/16 (8mm) might be just the ticket. If all else fails, purchasing a fishtail nose ring and taking it to your piercer to have them custom fit it is always an option. You can find our regular nose hoops in 3/8 and 5/16 sizes here, and a selection of nose rings available in fishtail style here. Hope this helps!

12. Amy says:

I currently have in the 18g screw that was used during my piercing. My biggest complaint is that is often twists and can be seen in my nose. You can sometimes see it even when it doesn’t twist. My question is, when it is healed and ready for replacing, what is the best style to get that will stay in securely and still not be seen on the inside of my nose? Thank you!

• Lorna says:

The best style if you’re having a problem with it being too noticeable is usually a nose bone. These ones in the picture are bones and you can find them here. It’s basically just a straight back with a little ball at the end to hold it in. Hope this helps, and thanks for the comment!

13. Jackie says:

I was pierced with an 18 gauge and 2mm gem labret in my nostril, even though I wanted a 1mm gem. He said this would be better for an initial piercing. Now he’s telling me to stick with the gauge and size I have, but I want to go to a 20 gauge with a 1mm gem.

When you first go to a smaller gauge, what do you do to keep it from falling out or through while the piercing shrinks?

Thank you so much.

• Lorna says:

Getting a really secure nose ring style sounds like it would help here. One of the best is a nose screw, which has a larger, twisted bottom to help hold it into the piercing. A 20 gauge in one of these items would still feel loose, but the design should keep it from falling out a lot as long as you start with a 1.5 millimeter gem. You can find some here. Hope this helps, and thank you for the comment. :)

14. Jenn says:

Hi there..This is extremely helpful. I recently changed out my nose ring to a hoop because it was fully healed. However, the nose ring is a lot chunkier than I thought :( It’s an 18 and I would really like a 20. Would it be a bad idea to put a 20 hoop in my nose? I really wished she would have pierced it smaller so that the nose ring wouldn’t be as huge.

15. Rachael says:

My piercing is placed a little to high on my nose to where I tryed on a regualr nose hoop and it didn’t fit. Is there any where that I could buy a nose hoop with a larger diameter?

• Lorna says:

Nose hoops come in a variety of sizes, so you’ll need to look for one that’s a size up from what you tried. If it seemed really small, you probably had an item with a 5/16″ (8mm) diameter, which is a small common size. If that’s the case, what you’ll want is a 3/8″ (10mm) diameter like these one’s here: 3/8″ Nose Hoops. Hope this helps, and thanks for the comment. :)

16. Alexis says:

So helpful! I’ve had a hard time finding the right size.

17. Kahtia says:

Well I’ve been wanting to get my nose pierced for the longest but I heard that most piercing places pierces your nose with a 18 gauge needle but I want a 20 gauge nose rings instead. Will it be okay to still get it pierced with a 18 gauge needle and put 20 gauge nose rings in?

• Lorna says:

The 18 gauge is definitely bigger, so a 20 gauge nose ring in an 18 gauge piercing would likely be noticeably loose, and could possibly fall out. Your piercer will definitely know what to do to help you get the fit you need though, and some parlors will order 20 gauge needles for their customers upon request, so it’s probably best to start by calling around to piercers in your area. Hope this helps, and thanks for the comment!

18. luis says:

I have a 22gauge piercing and i would like a nose hoop but found all the hoops that I’ve found are to small to wrap around my nostril I need help on where to find one my size…